Sunday, July 22, 2012

Happy 2nd Hip Hooray Anniversary - 5 weeks post surgery


This past week has been full of successes - some big and others minor, but my recovery is, for the most part, moving along.

I graduated to a cane this last Wednesday. I was a little nervous but I am faring well. I do find that I get tired more quickly, than when I was using the walker. I also find that when I get tired my limp really shows and my knee starts to hurt. Usually when one joint is suffering, the joint above or below takes the brunt - so my knee pain is most likely a result of week muscles on the right side. I have to remember to stop, sit and rest for a while - then I'm good for another short time period.

I saw the Surgeon this week. I am now allowed to go in the pool. The incision has mostly healed - but they are very cautious about infection in that area.  I have to keep an eye on the incision and if it looks funky or has pain I have to notify them right away. If infection gets down into the new joint it could mean open me up again and start all over - YUCK!!! The surgeon also said that all my soft tissue healing should be done in the next few weeks. After that it is a long slow process to gain my muscle strength back. I hope my muscle memory is strong and snaps back sooner - rather than later.

I've been in physical therapy 2 times a week and have been doing my own PT exercises at home another 3 times a week. I swam yesterday (swimming is hard!!!) and did some one legged squats in the pool and step ups on my surgery leg. I was amazed how sore I was today from such a simple pool workout. I am also noticing that my feet hurt all the time. I think it is because I walk all crooked, so the bottoms of my feet are working differently...and shoot howdy they are letting me know all about it!

I am off the scary pain meds! Thank goodness. I am now just taking Motrin 800 as needed for pain. I am so happy to be off the narcotics and most of the time feel clear headed . Speaking of clear headed - I am feeling less depressed. For that I am grateful. I am settling into my situation, and understand that this is not forever - but for now I have to accept my fate and keep an optimistic outlook.

I'm still not driving and most likely won't be for at least another month. My daughter has been a great helper and driver and many friends and family have lent me their amazing driving skills to and from Dr. appts , lunch, the store etc. I am so grateful for the support I have been blessed with!

A quick note - a Yoga student of mine is dealing with some pretty serious health issues right now - if you could send positive affirmations and healing thoughts his way I'm sure it would lift his spirits.

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment