Wednesday, August 8, 2012

EGO  (ahamkara) - getting over yourself can set you free


One of the basic concepts of Yoga is the Ego or the sanskrit word Ahamkara/Asmita. Our conscious over identification with our "self"  in relation to our external environment ( feelings, physical body,emotions, life stages, society norms) seperates us from the true state of "Yoga" - or union with the Divine.

The ego is one of the five Afflictions (Kleshas) that cause us suffering in this life (Avidya - Ignorance, Ahamkara/Asmita- Ego, Raga - Attraction, Dvesa - Aversion, Abhinivasa- Death). The cause of all the afflictions is embedded in the first Klesa - Ignorance. BKS Iyengar wrote in "Light on the Yoga Sutras", "Mistaking the transient for the permanent, the impure for the pure, pain for pleasure, that which is not the self for the self: all of this is a lack of spiritual knowledge".

I've been struggling with all these physical limitations lately. I take one step forward and the next thing I know my body or my emotions send me two steps back. Instead of staying present and acknowledging my ability for what I can do today - I end up looking back at what I could do before and then my Ego kicks in and I find myself sad, depressed, angry at my body - at my situation - at this juncture in my life. These feelings (my ego) tend to send me down a road that is just not realistic and frankly unhealthy for me and those around me.

Learning to stay in the present is hard. Past life experiences invade our present moments and creep into our future thoughts - often times undermining our progress and ultimately our Yoga practice. What to do?

Change my thoughts!

I am trying to remember that I am not 20 years old anymore - heck I'm not even what I was 8 weeks ago! My body will not do those things anymore. It is different everyday, every second, - every cell changes NOTHING stays the same - ever. I cannot hold onto those memories -that is all they are memories. From here on out everyday is new with its own sets of challenges and successes. When my Ego steps in and says - Wow - you can't do this like you used to, or you're not making quick enough progress like last time, or you're putting weight on around your middle because you're not working out like you used to, or am I embarrassing my husband because I am walking with a cane, or great one leg is longer than the other now and I have to wear a lift in my shoe. Uultimately all those Ego conversations just make me feel less and cause me suffering.

And I am not less - I am more than just this human body I inhabit. I make a difference - regardless of what this life (or my Ego) throws at me.

And readers - Guess what?  So are you!


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment