Monday, May 21, 2012

A little history...

Ok - so here I am making this blog. I'm not much of a writer or thinker. I don't really have any profound thoughts to share with anyone. This is a selfish blog - a tool to get me through the next six months of my life...a life without Yoga - at least in the physical sense.

See I had hip replacement surgery in September 2007. I suffered from Osteoarthritis of the right hip and after many painful years we decided a THR was what I needed. Things went great. Successful surgery and post operative recovery without incident and I was back to my Yoga and cycling in 4 months. This hip was to last me until I died - at least that is what they said (this is where the ominous music plays).

Over the 4.5 years since my THR I'd had bouts of pain that I attributed to my active lifestyle. Yoga teacher, Spinning instructor, and road cyclist. Thought it was sciatica, tight hips, weak muscles at surgery site, piriformis issues from cycling - never once did I think it was my metal on metal (MoM) hip implant. Boy was I wrong.

In December 2011 I decided to quit my credit union management job to open a Yoga studio (wow talk about expert timing). I was experiencing some more groin pain and inflamed buttocks muscles and decided to go check on my implant with my surgeon - just to check that everything was fine and finally get some resolution on this pain I was having and what I could do to make it stop. After issues with health insurance and two months later I finally got a bone scan of the R hip. In conclusive they say - could you go have some blood tests done?

So I skip off to the lab, have 5 vials of blood drawn and a week later I get a call from the surgeon's nurse. You have elevated levels of Chromium and Cobalt ( metals from the implant that can cause hip and groin pain, bone and tissue destruction and nerve damage) in your blood. Doctor is recommending a hip replacement revision. Can you come see us next week?

I'll finish up with the remainder of the story tomorrow. I'm off to teach at my Yoga studio. Not really sure what will become of that right now. But I find peace in teaching and helping others find some peace in their life.

One of my favorites sayings is "everything happens for a reason". I wonder if everyone hates that saying when I say it to them as much as I hate it right now.

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment