Thursday, May 24, 2012

Time to re-focus - Unhappiness leads to hatred. - Yoga Sutra II.8


I had a long lunch with a friend today. We talked a lot about my present situation. I found myself feeling and verbalizing ridiculous thoughts regarding my present reality. My friend wisely pointed out that what I am feeling is "grief" - grief from seeing my dream being shot down. Grief from my body part not working properly, grief from being disappointed in what life has dealt me. Grief at knowing what my body will go through in the next few months.

Grief (Duhka from the Yoga Sutras) is one of the afflictions of the body  "duhka" is loosely translated as sorrow, grief, distress, pain. When we mistakenly see the transient as permanent (when the Ego takes over), then we create pain. In my case - grief.  While what is happening is definitely real, it is also temporary.

My unhappiness at this situation will only lead to more unhappiness. Unhappiness will lead to negative thoughts, negative thoughts will lead to negative energy out into the universe. Negative energy out into the universe will not make things better for anyone. It will create a negative chain of misery - which will only lead to more sorrow and grief.

I have to have faith. Trust in the highest knowledge.- Faith that everything will be just as it is supposed to be. I have to trust the wisdom of the universe - I sure hope the universe is smart.

Namaste'

2 comments: