Monday, June 11, 2012

The color GREEN is not just for aliens.


Who knew that the color green could be so significant? This morning I had two appointments at the hospital. One was for an ultra sound of the right hip to see if they could detect any fluid in the area. And the other was for a CT scan of the right hip.

So, I'm in the Ultrasound room with a very nice technician. After lubing me up he proceeds to scan the R hip. He explains then, that the radiologist will be in to talk to me. The radiologist Dr. Broom, a very nice man, explains that they have detected fluid in the R hip area and Dr. Donaldson wants it aspirated and sent to the lab for analysis. Great I think - a big ass long needle into my hip - I'm not ashamed to admit I started freaking out a little and was wishing I had brought someone along with me to hold my hand.

So I lay back, they numb the area with lidocaine and the Dr proceeds to start aspiration. Relatively painless for the most part but I'm feeling emotional. So I go to my happy place and breathe. At one point I look up and the Dr is pouring something into a beaker - I say "Is that the stuff from my hip?" and he says "Yes". So I decide to look. OMG it is GREEN! Like avocado-guacamole green. I say, "That came out of my hip?" "Yep", says the tech. "It's green", I say. "It's probably better for you not to look", says the tech. I say,  "That can't be good". The tech just looks at me with big eyes.

So at this point I am no longer emotional I'm just amazed at this green fluid coming out of my body. Usually when it comes to medical stuff being performed on me I look the other way - but there I was watching all of this happen and being truly disgusted that this green stuff was coming out of my hip. At the same time I'm thinking get this out of me. That cannot be good.

And poof - just like that my mind switched from hesitation about my surgery to "get this hip out of me!" My poor body has been struggling to deal with this foreign object leaking metal into me for so long - I had always experienced some degree of pain and/or discomfort but seeing this green liquid come out of me really brought the importance of this surgery home.

So seven days and counting until surgery - bring it on. I'm ready (but still nervous).

Namaste'



No comments:

Post a Comment